When performing data migration from one organization to another, it is important to import them in a particular order to maintain the relationships. The relationships are defined currently with the Salesforce IDs and not with the names. Therefore you need to match IDS and Names when you plan to work on Salesforce data migration. This can be done through a VLookup functionality which is available with Microsoft Excel.
Useful tips for performing a successful Salesforce data migration
- In order to import the records from one organization to another, you will need import the records in a particular sequence to maintain the relationships. The relationships are defined by the Salesforce IDs and not the names. Vlookup can help you in this regard but if you are not comfortable with it you can use existing Record Ids as external Ids for most of the objects.
- You have the option to use the Data Import Wizard if you want to import accounts, contacts, Leads, Solutions or any other custom object records.
- In case you need to import the objects not listed above and you are using Enterprise, performance or unlimited Editions, you will need to use the Data loader as the tool for migration.
- Use the Vlookup facility for mapping the Account Name from the Account Record in the Contact records based on the account ID displayed. You will able to perform the imports in any order you desire. But the Accounts and contacts need to be imported jointly.
- The best policy is to import after you have your Meta Data in order. You should remember that you need to alter the usernames in the old organization so that the users can use their preferred username in the new organization.
- When you are importing using the Data loader, here is the order in which you may want to import- Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts, Opportunities, Cases, Solutions, Pricebooks, Products, Leads, Contracts.
These all processes ensure that each of the records is properly associated as you are able to define the ID of the related records upon import. If you are not able to bring confidence that you are able to bring these steps into action, this can be done taking the help of some professional services with a fee.
Salesforce data migration from one customized instance of Salesforce to another Customized instance can be performed too. While doing this type of Salesforce data migration you should keep in mind that you prepare the target instance for the new data.
- This mapping requires that the 2 instances require all fields from exported organization are established in the new target instance.
- Other customization of the target instance
- Ownership rules review
- Make sure that all required data points are considered
- Testing migration before uploading in masses
- Once migration is complete, completing data validation is necessary